Thursday, February 09, 2012

Caring less and loving more


Last year I started cutting my own hair. The first time I did it, I felt giddy seeing the bathroom sink overflowing with hair. Sharing my enthusiasm, I asked my husband to come upstairs.
The reaction? Shock, surprise, but ultimately - and thankfully - support. I decided it might be a good time to mention the possibility of shaving my head, but there wasn't as much support for that idea. And, while I'm trying to look less and less in the mirror, he's the one that sees me more and more so I figured it fair enough. Someday, perhaps.

My practice teaches me to embrace my perceptions of imperfection. By building on the compassion I feel, I'm beginning to learn more and more about myself. Living consciously, I have become aware of my judgments. Instead of unconscious acceptance or berating myself for judging, I try to observe my thoughts. Building awareness creates change.

In case you're wondering what precipitated these thoughts, I cut my hair in the shower today. I have no idea how it looks because I haven't looked in the mirror...yet.

5 comments:

  1. Please don't cut your hair !!!! Even though hair is considered the output of the bones in Ayurveda it is essential that they remain as natural as they are.....The idea of cutting hair to for some purpose other than a need to have a haircut is not natural. Let those locks be as they are Mrs. Rapunzel !!!!! Love u all. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I'd elicit a response with so many exclamations! I'm sure Adam will be on side with you my dear alter ego ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post. I have been going the all natural route for about 6 months. My head is almost all grey and I only shampoo with baking soda for now. I feel like we are on a parallel path in so many ways. I hope it will become perpendicular in the months/years ahead...xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't feel more connected to your head space, as it were. Love you Catherine xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is one of the tricks to happiness- wanting less. I totally agree. For 16 more ways to feel happier now, go to: http://yogaforthenewworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete